Tuesday, June 16, 2009

PappaBear's First Post!

There are a lot of things going amok in little Kiss and Cookie's worlds right now.

First, Kiss and Cookie are, sadly, sick! If you remember, they got their first "cold" the first week of April (staff photo, below).

They recovered like little champs and without too much ado (aside from their Humidifying Dragon).

Now, they're sick AGAIN! Unfortunately, they're both suffering through their first eye, ear, and snout infections. Both are also on their first course of antibiotics, which includes a secondary eye drops and, worse, eye ointment!

Eye drops I get, but ointment for infants...really? Someone who didn't have (or like) kids (or maybe their parents) must have come up with that one. Otherwise, the eye drop vehicle was still on patent...

On the plus side, Kiss is reasponding really well and appears to be over her first ear infection (15 months without an ear infection isn't too shabby, thank you very much)! She seems to have regained about 95% of her craziness back and she is happily puttering (nearly running) about the house....


Cookie is still on the mend, however. His laid-back and easy going ways kept us from realizing that his ears were also infested with the baby plague. We were treating his peepers (see below), but he was delayed in exhibiting signs of a more generalized infection, so we held off in (false) hopes that he would get through it on his own...


Of course he looks terribly sick in this photo now that I'm looking at it/him in retrospect. I think he was just really sleepy there...he is in his crib after all. Live and learn....

Kiss was prescribed Amoxicillin, whereas Cookie was prescribed Cefdinir. Both are β-lactam antibiotics, but there are some pretty big differences between them. I'm not sure if Cookie is responding as well as Kiss did. I'm keeping my eyes and ears on them both, but am currently hawking over the Cookie. It's 9 PM and I can hear him coughing still...poor thing.

The second big upset is that Mamma bear has left the den. She won't be back for a couple of days. Even though they're sick, I can tell that they're also missing her (me too). Here's a picture of MamaBear (looking more like MamaFox!) struggling to contain the precocious Kiss....


It's not all bad news, however.

Even an ear infection isn't slowing Cookie down and he's still "a mess" as they say in Texas. He is showing some real interest in walking. Today he showed us that he's been working on his ballance while we weren't looking. He started pushing the ottoman around in a very serious way. Today is the first time that I've seen him doing it in a prolonged fashion with the clear intent of using it as a mobility aid!

As you can see, Kiss had to get in on the act as well...



I'm really very excited for him! He was very proud of himself (and I'm proud of him, too!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I sure am missing those cute super babies! I love the great post. Glad kiss is on the mend and am hoping cookie isn't far behind. Wish I were home. I miss you and can't wait to be with you!!

Natalie said...

Oh man...poor babies. That baby plague is the worse. So glad it wasn't the zombie pig flu, I heard so much about ;)

Look at Cook pushing that ottoman around and miss kiss showing off and getting in on his action.

Wish I could give some cuddles.

Good post, PappaBear!

Anonymous said...

Wow they are cute as buttons...Hope they feel better and better....poor munchies...Quinnie is walking Yeah...what a big boy...Frankie is such a big girl...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Not only did you make an excellent post, you did it with two sick kiddos while Mommy was away! You are awesome, Papa Bear!!! =)
I sure hope those cute babies get to feeling better soon! We want to come and play!
Even when they're not feeling their best, they are still two of the cutest kids I have ever seen!

SN

Anonymous said...

Yay Cookie!!!! We knew it was just a matter of time before he decided that it was time to get on those two feet of his!!! I am so proud of him!! Great post Daddy! I especially love the little blurb in there about the antibiotics! Couldn't resist, could you!? :-) You are ALMOST as cute as those kids of yours! Boooo on the baby plague! That simply doesn't look like any fun at all for our little munchkins. I hope everyone feels much better very soon, and also hope that Charissa gets a little bit more sleep too! Poor thing! Lots of love from NC. Hugs and messy kisses too!
Auntie Jes