26 miles 385 yards X 20! That is some kind of impressive to me. What's even more impressive is the man that just finished his 20th marathon....my Dad. Here is what he had to say, in his own words, about running his 20th Marathon in Pasadena, CA.
"I live in Eastern Europe – the country of Ukraine -ten time zones away from Pasadena. My wife and I will fly in from Kyiv (through Paris, Detroit and Madison,WI)arriving at LAX on Saturday March 21 about eight hours prior to the marathon start. If I complete this marathon it will be my 20th. However, my first since a trauma induced subarachnoid hemorrhage sidelined me two and a half years ago. It will also be the first marathon I’ve run since tearing the quadriceps muscle from my knee a year and a half ago. Not to mention (ok, I will) having a hemorrhoidectomy a year ago. That last surgeon was so proud of his work; he said I was a “perfect ass.” Don’t worry, I’ve been given a clean bill of health (physically) and I’ve signed the waiver! I plan to run at five miles per hour considerably slower than the last time I ran a marathon in California which was at Napa Valley in 1993. It will be fun to be among all those physically fit Californians again."
I just finished speaking with Dad. He actually arrived in California only about 6 hours before the Marathon start and was able to manage only 4 hours of sleep. With all of that he managed to not only finish the marathon, but do it without injury. If it were anyone else I would be surprised, but this is a man that can actually tell stories of his near death experience from bad Hippo stew, how he got up and ran home after being hit by a Semi truck, managed to survive a run in with the mafia and the list goes on. Seriously, he makes those angels on his shoulder work overtime!!
Congratulations to Dad and to his sister who ran (and finished) the 5K. Wish we could have been there to cheer for you in person, but we were there in spirit. Love to you!
3 comments:
WOW, your dad could give a lesson to all us younger (ok not technically young anymore) slackers! I remember when the semi hit him, I said he must be like some kind of superman......guess I was right!! Congrats!!!!!!
Angela
Congratulations! That is a mighty accomplishment and a huge feat of endurance. Way to go!
Charissa,
What a beautiful tribute to your dad. Just picking it and the Blue Bells up while here at Aunt Lorie and Uncle Jeff's. Your dad is off to the race track this afternoon...no doubt another story in the making. Can't wait to see those adorable Texas Two and their parents. Much love
Post a Comment