Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bittersweet

It's taken me a while to sit down and write this post. I find that I can't think about it without getting teary eyed and a bit sad. Every month I use the word "bittersweet" to describe the marching on of time, but this month it has been a bit more bitter than usual. As I think back to a year ago I am sad that my memory of that time has already begun to fade. I can't quite remember EXACTLY what it felt like to have them jostle for extra room in the house that was getting to small (my belly!), I can no longer actually feel the sense of anticipation and wonder that marked that time in my life. These emotions and memories have been replaced by new ones, amazing ones, but replaced never the less. And for me this is bittersweet. My babies are almost ONE, this is the last month of infanthood, they are well on their way to being toddlers. I have treasured each and every day, if not every moment. There hasn't been a day that has gone by that I haven't marveled at the wonder they are. Each day of their lives I have thought "this is the last time they will be this small, this is the only day of it's kind - marvel in the wonder that is NOW" and I have. I truly have.
In a very real sense the babies gave me the ability to live in the "now". For years, if not most of my life, I have been a person who lived in the "tomorrow" in the "when this happens...then". I had put my life on hold for years, just waiting for these miracles to arrive and now that they are here I want to stop time. It goes by too fast and there isn't a damn thing you can do to stop it...and in reality you wouldn't really want to.....but still - it is bittersweet.

So in this, their 10th month, time marched on and Kiss has landed squarely in toddlerhood! Take a look.

Kiss explores...everything!!




And Cookie, although still a bit of a baby (yeah!!) is becoming very mobile....
even taking the stairs
Standing so tall
and reaching out with both hands to grab life (and anyone else who happens to be nearby!)
It was a great month with many new developments...stay tuned for the 11 month B-day recap....

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh those babies are too much. It may be bittersweet but I think it is only going to get better as those two sugar lumpkins get older. Oh the sweetness to come! I am going to eat them up!

Avicia said...

Bittersweet Indeed! Sooooooo Cute! I hope to visit in late May, I've got to see them in action before too many more months pass. Lots of love this Birth - Day week.

xoxoxo ~ Avicia